Help RPU use new technologies to reduce electric demand during Peak Savings Events. Participate in RPU’s Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program! *When you enroll in BYOD, you’ll receive a one-time $50 enrollment incentive bill credit plus a $25 annual, year-end bill credit for participating.
How does BYOD work?
Participants agree to brief, limited Peak Savings Events, which adjust their thermostat(s) during peak electric demand periods from May 1 through September 30. Peak demand periods for adjustments typically occur on especially hot days, but Peak Savings Events may also be called under other circumstances to reduce strain on the grid. Peak Savings Events will not occur on weekends or holidays.
How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Customers enrolled in the BYOD program will be notified of Peak Savings Events through RPU’s customer web portal, email, SMS, or by the smart thermostat manufacturer via a mobile app or the thermostat.
How will my thermostat(s) be adjusted?
- At the start of a Peak Savings Event, your thermostat(s) will be automatically adjusted by two (2) to four (4) degrees above the current temperature setting.
- A Peaks Savings Event will typically last between one (1) and four (4) hours and will occur anytime between 10 am and 8 pm. Adjustments will not occur on weekends or holidays.
- Once the Peak Savings Event is over, your thermostat(s) will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your thermostat(s) might be adjusted down two (2) degrees prior to a Peak Savings Event to pre-cool your home.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser, or thermostat. For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the Peak Savings Event.
Will participating in the program negatively impact my comfort?
Peak Savings Events will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. In addition, you can easily opt out of a Peak Savings Event at any time, for any reason.
How does BYOD benefit Rochester’s community?
- By participating in the program, you are helping RPU utilize new technologies that manage energy demand during “peak hours,” which occur when energy usage dramatically increases.
- RPU’s BYOT program helps reduce those peaks and takes some of the strain off the grid during hotter, busier times of the day.
- This can lower energy costs, with the savings passed on to RPU customers.
To be eligible to enroll, you must answer YES to the following questions:
- Are you an RPU residential electric customer?
- Do you use your thermostat(s) to control your central air conditioning or heat pump?
- Have you installed a qualifying internet-connected thermostat(s)?
- Are you NOT currently participating, and receiving a bill credit, in RPU’s Load Management program*?
*RPU's Load Management program activates a remote-controlled switch that is installed near your central A/C and/or electric water heater. The signal causes the switch to cycle your central A/C compressor and/or electric water heater elements for set time periods on peak demand days. When enrolling in our BYOD program, you will automatically be removed from the Load Management program. Any questions, please contact RPU Customer Care at (800) 778-3421 or send an email.
If you answered YES to the four questions, find your thermostat among the qualifying models listed below. Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site and follow the series of simple steps. Once your eligibility is confirmed by RPU, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive notification on your eligibility status in your email.
This list changes frequently, if you do not see your smart thermostat listed, we still encourage you to enroll.
How do I receive the $50 enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $50 enrollment incentive, as a bill credit and must remain on the program for 12 consecutive months. Your $50 enrollment incentive will be applied to your electric utility account within four (4) to six (6) weeks after receiving program approval. One (1) incentive per account, per service location, regardless of the number of thermostats controlled.
How do I receive the $25 participation incentive?
You agree to stay enrolled throughout the summer season to receive a year-end $25 bill credit. Year-end incentives will be applied to your electric utility bill during the months of November – December.
How do I unenroll from the program?
To unenroll, email email@example.com or call (800) 778-3421 requesting to end your participation in RPU’s BYOD program. Unenrolling from the program will end your participation for all your enrolled thermostats.
Google, Nest Thermostat, Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E are trademarks of Google LLC.